The Golf Holiday
Are you looking to go overseas with a few friends for a golfing trip? If so, you may want to look at these destinations as they have the lot in terms of some of the best golf courses as well as relaxation in spades. Forget Disneyland, Hollywood and walking through museum after museum after museum…. And just go play golf!
1. California – One of the best destinations for golf. Depending on what area you want to concentrate on, there are golf courses in this state that are considered the best anywhere in the world. They are all accessible to overseas visitors and even though they are expensive to play, they will give you a golfing experience you will not forget. San Francisco is a great place to use as a base. From there you can reach so many world class courses by car. So hire one and make the trip a little more memorable by driving into these courses perhaps even in a convertible? Courses within reach of San Francisco in less than a days drive are: Olympic, TPC Harding Park, Presidio, Lake Merced, Pebble Beach, Half Moon Bay and Spyglass Hill. That is seven golf courses you will remember always.
2. Mexico Baja Peninsula – Not only is there magnificent world class golf courses here, but the weather is amazing. Everyday you will be greeted by sunny cloudless skies. Having Cabo San Lucas nearby, you will also have access to some unbelievable nightlife and restaurants. The golf courses are all there as well. Here are some of the best: Palmilla, Club Campestre, Cabo Del Sol, Cabo Real, El Dorado, and Puerto Los Cabos. All of these courses are within 30 minutes of each other. It is a great place for a holiday, some world class golf and nightlife. Get there!
3. Florida – The state of Florida has some of the most picturesque golfing destinations around. It also has the perfect weather for a long week or two of golf. The courses here are unique in how they look. They are nearly perfect in every way. The fairways are a lush green and like carpet. The bunkers are whiter than white and easy to play out of. The greens are big and the roll is true. To me, this is the place I would like to retire to and play all the courses. There are way too many to mention that are world class here, but here are some you should not miss: Seminole, TPC Sawgrass, The Bear's Club, Old Memorial G.C., Trump National Doral (Blue Monster), Bay Hill Club and Turnberry Isle. Just looking at some of the websites will make you salivate.
4. Scotland – There are of course those amongst us that seek the old style true links golf. For them, there is Scotland. It is hard to argue against the list of golf courses that you can play here, but apart from the biggest names, there are many other courses that are fantastic to play without the big name. Courses like Pitlochry, Dunskey, Hawkshill and Tain may not get the visitors like the others, but are fantastic golf courses. The entire length and breadth of Scotland has golf courses hidden everywhere just waiting to be played. Of course the big ones are: St.Andrews, Turnberry, Carnoustie, Muirfield, Royal Dornoch, Castle Stuart and Kingsbarns. The down side of course is the weather. If you are to take on Scotland, make sure you have plenty of good quality wet weather gear packed and be prepared to play in all conditions.
5. Las Vegas - The lure of Vegas is pretty hard to resist. What happens there and all, but the golf courses around Las Vegas are mostly playable and are of very good condition. The desert city is flat, which has made the golf course architects here really work hard to create interesting, undulating tracks. Outside of the city limits there are some great courses as well, but it is the courses that are within a 30 minute drive of the strip that will blow most golfers away. There is also the added bonus of staying at the strip casino's, having golf ranges like TopGolf close by and the weather is nearly always perfect. An amazing place for a golf trip! Courses: Shadow Creek, Rio Secco, Coyote Springs, Wolf Creek, Reflection Bay and the Paiute golf complex with 3 different 18's.
6. Australia - Then again, there are some people who are limited by time and money but still want to get away on golfing weeks or weekends close to home. For you I say there are 2 great choices. The best choice is the Murray River trip. Starting at Murray Downs and finishing somewhere near Albury, you will have a great week travelling along the border and playing some fantastic golf courses. Alright, they are not world class, but the courses along the border make up for that in other ways. The accommodation is always cheap, the people are always friendly, the courses are in great condition, the weather is better and the courses are varied with some being all inclusive with accommodation and even some meals. Courses: Murray Downs, Bahram, Rich River, Tocumwal, Cobram/Barooga, Corowa, Yarrawonga, Black Bull, Howlong and Thurgoona.
The other trip is the Mornington Peninsula. Only an hour out of Melbourne, the peninsula area is home to some stunning wold class golf courses. It may get a little windy, but that just makes you concentrate more and weeds out the high handicapper in the group (sick of giving them shots). Some of the finest public access golf courses in Victoria can be found in this area as well as some quiet coastal towns with great hotels and even better food. Nothing quite like a big parma and a pot after a day on the links and you will get this and more here. Courses: Moonah Links, Dunes, Portsea, Cape Schanck, St.Andrews Beach, Flinders and Eagle Ridge.
So, from some of the biggest and best, to some of the close by and cheap, the golfing getaway is one of the best holidays a keen golfer can ever have. Yes, it’s important to enjoy the honeymoon and the family trips away, but the golf trip is unique. It’s a time to indulge your true passions, spend time with friends away from the family, drink far too much, spin way too many tales of how far you used to hit it and just enjoy golf as it was meant to be, without distractions. Don't forget to quote Caddyshack lines too much as well, it's just not a golf trip without them. "I bet you $100 you slice into the woods!"
Our partner website Ultimate Golfing Holidays have 2 international golf trips available to book right now. Las Vegas and Hawaii. You can find them both by following the link on top of the page. Great discounts are available if you mention you saw the trip advertised on our site. Email them for all the details at firstname.lastname@example.org